Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Lutyen's Delhi

I was in New Delhi for 3 days last week. As I was driving from the Airport to Trans Yamuna area I passed through the stylish South Delhi where all the embassy's are located and then onto Rashtrapati Bhavan, South Block, India Gate, Parliament House etc. I couldn't resist the temptation to stop frequently and click pictures. It was early evening and there was a bit of smog in the air and sun was not visible. But still could click some fairly good pictures.
India Gate:  It commemorates the 70,000 Indian soldiers who lost their lives fighting for the British Army during the World War I. The memorial bears the names of more than 13,516 British and Indian soldiers killed in the Northwestern Frontier in the Afghan war of 1919.
Rashtrapati Bhavan: It is a 340 room mansion where the President of India lives.It was the erstwhile residence of the British viceroy and was designed and built by Edwin Landseer Lutyens - the brilliant British Architect.
A smoggy view of Rashtrapati Bhavan ( where the President of India resides)
North Block where the Defence Ministry is located- above & below.



Views of India gate - above & below
Sprawling lush green lawns around India Gate
Battery operated rikshas to ferry tourists around South Delhi
Purana Quila - is the oldest fort among all forts in Delhi. Now in a dilapidated state.

21 comments:

  1. really beautiful structures. i like the india gate memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The government buildings look impressive, and the old fort looks as if it would be fascinating to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is again a very nice serie my friend....... interesting place.

    Greetings from Holland, Joop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowwwww! That bog street in the 1st picture looks amazing - really "kingsize"! Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive part of the capital. Lovely pictures; they bring back memories of my visits that side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid pictures Ram . They reminded me of my stay in Delhi a few years back. I loved the laidback and historical vibe of the place.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visit Delhi frequently but these pictures brought back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb captures.. Especially the battery rickshaws look interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first I thought your were writing about a new deli and I kept looking for a Reuben sandwich!

    Just kidding. I really enjoyed these photos as I know so little about India. The roads look wide and easy to navigate and all those beautiful structures are something to behold. Lots of people out and about, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. India Gate is gorgeous and its history is impressive. It is comfortable to be riding on those battery operated rikshas ? Looks convenient when they go around in busy streets!
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buildings are magnificent and exotic for me. It's impressive that a lot of people visit the India gate in this picture.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures, I especially like the rikshas and the stonework on the old fort.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for clicking on a few pictures...I enjoy seeing the New Delhi buildings....and the taxi for tourists too

    ReplyDelete
  14. New Delhi looks fantastic. I know it's a huge city but you have captured some little pieces of it that seem very small and personable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohmygosh. How I miss being a stranger in Delhi. That part of the city is just gorgeous!!!!! GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm and how I take all this for granted! Lovey when I see it through your lens!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lutyen's Delhi is just amazing...we are not able to create another after so many years :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting photos......... thank you Ram. I imagine the rickshaw drivers are glad to have battery power!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was a good virtual tour for me, thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete

RAMAL RAMANATHAN'S 95th BIRTHDAY

Wedding Studio Photo Appa's 90th Birthday Ayushhomam at Coimbatore: 2006 Wedding Photo Photos clicked on Birthday at Coimbatore Special ...