The locomotive engine of the Nilgiri Mountain Railway(NMR), which was brought from Mettupalayam, was mounted on a pedestal constructed for the purpose at the entrance of the Coimbatore Railway Junction on Sunday night.
The engine X 37389 was built in 1925 at the Swiss Locomotives and Machine Works factory in Switzerland. It was operated between Mettupalayam and Coonoor and was withdrawn from service in 2012. It was replaced with a new oil-fired steam engine in 2012. The total weight of the engine was 50.3 tonne and its hauling capacity was 979 tonne.