The Theosophical Society was founded on 17 November 1875 by Madame Blavatsky and Colonel Olcott. The founders travelled extensively in India & Ceylon. They established the Spiritual Centre at Adyar,Madras(Chennai). Mrs.Annie Besant played a pivotal role in the vigorous and steady growth of the Society. She gave a great lead in making Theosophy practical, urging members to theosophize the various fields: religious, social, economic, political. For this purpose she instituted the Theosophical Order of Service, and the Sons of India, 1908. The Headquarters at Adyar were enlarged by the purchase of Blavatsky and Olcott Gardens. During a recent visit to Chennai we took a walk around the beautiful campus of the Society spread over several acres. Some of the pictures taken on this tour are presented below:
The Temple of Light - foundation stone laid in 1920 by Annie Besant and consecrated in 1925 by J.Krishnamurthy.
Closeup of the The Temple of Light sanctum
Another View of the Temple The sprawling campus of the Theosophical Society Cactii
The glorious stone archway to the Banyan Cluster
Another Amazing Banyan Cluster (The biggest one in Asia is in Bangalore!) This one measures 250 ft by 238 ft and the total area measuring 59,500 sq.ft. it has been the centre of many notable gatherings of the Theosophical Society.
The beautiful Church inside the Society
Entrance to the Zoroastrian Temple - two majestic lions
The Zoroastrian Temple A grand old tree stump Butterflies helping themselves to delicious nectar